At 11:37 19-10-2002 -0400, John Giorgis wrote:

Anyhow, if you knew the first thing about the United Nations, you would
know that the UN Charter assigns responsibility for "peace and security"
matters to the UN Security Council.    Thus, since the Security Council is
a completely discredited body (cf. Rwanda, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Kosovo, the
past 10 years of letting Iraq walk all over their resolutions, etc.), when
the Europeans refer a peace and security matter to the Untied Nations, they
are referring it to a discredited body.

>The UN has not been a "completely discredited body". I know that *you* have
>a dislike for the UN, but apparently most countries do not. If they did,
>why would they insist on UN support for actions against Iraq? It makes no
>sense for them to want approval from an organisation they consider
>"discredited".

Apparently, the Europeans haven't figured out yet that it is discredited.
Incredible. I ask the same question *twice*, and both times you evade it. So, third attempt, why would countries insist on UN support if they consider the UN to be a discredited body?

BTW, may I ask why you keep insulting Europeans by implying that they are somehow intellectually inferior to Americans?

Or maybe the Europeans are more comfortable than Americans with referring
matters of National Security to the Chinese who are arming one's enemies, a
state-sponsor of terrorism, and the French who are willing to sell WMD
technology to one's enemies.
First, the UNSC deals with matters of *international* security, not a country's national security. A country's national security is its own responsibility; other countries have no say in it. Second, even in matters of international security, neither the Chinese nor the French have the power to make decisions about that, contrary to what you are implying. They are *members* of the UNSC, but one country's will is not law -- decisions are made by *all* members of the UNSC.

For someone who has been studying the UN for the last twelve years, you appear to be poorly informed.

Jeroen "Get your facts straight" van Baardwijk