----- Original Message -----
From: "Ritu Ko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 3:49 AM
Subject: RE: US Unilateralism

> > > <g>
> > >
> > > "..the US has *let* the UN deliberate..."?
> > >
> > > Interesting terminology there, JDG. :)
> >
> > I think John meant "let" the UN debate endlessly without the
> > US taking any
> > further action unilaterally or otherwise.
>
> Oh, I know what he meant. I just thought that the choice of words was
> amusing in the context of the thrust of his mail. Amusing not because I
> thought 'Aha! I got JDG!', but rather because it seemed a bit careless
> given both the subject and JDG's personal dynamics with some other
> listees.
> I was attempting a bit of harmless teasing. Quite dismally, apparently.

Perhaps not, It might just be me or the way it seemed to read to me.
:-(

> > I know its fairly fashionable for Non-Americans to view the
> > US government in
> > as cynical a light as possible,
>
> Fashions change, on a frequent basis. :)

That makes me feel hopeful.:-)

> > but it is a bit less than
> > nice to take the
> > same approach with individual Americans.
>
> Yes, it is.
> I am curious why you assumed I was doing that.
> And I wonder if JDG will react the same way when he reads my mail.

Reading this post and going back to read your previous post clarifies what
you were trying to say for me.

When I first read your previous post, the smilies appeared to indicate
sarcasm.

> > The point I'm trying to make is that your response has the
> > effect of being
> > more polarizing than Johns original statement.
>
> How?
> I am not trying to be argumentative here but am genuinely curious.

I believe that. Being an American, you pretty much come to expect being
treated a bit on the shabby side. Before 911 one would hear criticism of the
US and it would normally be about something fairly reasonable.
But since then it seems like many non-Americans like to make the rhetoric a
bit more personal and it can come from unexpected quarters.

> > I think all of us could take a moment to wear someone elses
> > shoes and see
> > how our words would sound to their ears. (Sheesh, what a sentence)
>
> <g>
>
> Well, the meaning was clear in any case. But the problem is that I don't
> see how I could have changed the way it was perceived. I mean, I know
> why I wrote the above comment, I included a '<g>' and ':)' to indicate I
> was joking....
> Would ';)' have been a better emoticon?

I dont think its a matter of "fault" really Ritu.
And if it is, you are entirely blameless.
I think its a matter of the context we live in these days. The world is
filled with polemic rhetoric and speech. Its dividing us from the things we
have in common and preventing us from seeing as clearly as we could.
For my part, I apologise for misreading you.
But not for a second did that diminish the esteem I hold for you.
You really are a very cool person!

xponent
Course Correction Maru
rob