Dan Minette wrote:

> Why I can see being opposed to attacking Iraq, I'm rather
> surprised by your
> language.

Could you specify the exact portions please?

> 1) Do you think that Iraq is not in material breach of the
> provisions that
> ended the Gulf War?  My understanding is that Iraq agreed to regular
> inspections, and that it was understood that they were
> required and would
> be backed with force if need be.

That's all correct.

> 2) Do you think that it doesn't matter, the US has nuclear
> weapons, India
> has nuclear weapons, why shouldn't Iraq?

Given Saddam's track record, it would be really nice if he didn't have
access to nuclear weapons.

> 3) Do you think that the sanctions should be lifted, giving
> Iraq about $50
> billion a year in disposable income that can be used on weapons?

No.

> 4) Do you think the sanctions should be continued?

Until an acceptable alternative is found, I guess they are needed.

> However, I'm not really sure that a world in which 5-10
> dictatorships are
> able to blackmail all the other countries in the world, because their
> leaders are willing to risk everything for their own power.

Is a part of that sentence missing? Seems like it.

> As far as I can see, the protection of the UN is virtually worthless.
> Examples of this include  Israel and Kosova, and   While, at
> the same time,
> there is some validity in protection offered by the US.
> Examples of this
> are Israel, S. Korea, Bosnia, and Taiwan.

Certainly. I wouldn't disagree with that. And I'd have no problems if
the rest of the world chooses to opt for US protection.

Ritu