d.brin wrote:

Hi folks.

The version of my essay on Tolkien now up at: http://salon.com/ent/feature/2002/12/17/tolkien_brin/index.html
is a shortened version.

nice cover art!

The longer, more erudite version, going into HG Wells and such, is at http://www.davidbrin.com/tolkienarticle1.html

Now to prepare for a tsunami of hate mail, even worse than when I dared to diss Star Wars, a few years back....

Thrive... and may 2003 be your best yet.

db

Read the short version and agree with much said. I do think that Jim has a good point, and I don't remember any elves, dwarves or hobbits having joined Sauron's army, so I'm not sure that I agree with the conclusion that " Sauron's army was the one that included every species and race on Middle Earth" can anyone point me to a reference that this is true?

And as for this amongst the concluding remarks:

"You are heirs of the world's first true civilization, arising out of the first true revolution. Take some pride in it."

While I couldn't agree more with the statement, am I wrong in my perception that the present administration has in it's sights the compromising of said revolution?

Doug

Be afraid.