At 13:21 17-12-2002 -0800, David Brin wrote:

Can you define your terms? What is an old feudalist? I assume you are using the term (incorrectly) as a pejorative?
Those who want a return to pyramid-shaped hierarchical/inherited social orders.
Then would you consider the society as depicted in Orwell's _1984_* to be essentially a feudal society? In the book simply referred to as "the book", the character Emanuel Goldstein describes the society as being pyramid-shaped, with Big Brother at the top, below that the Inner Party, then below that the Outer Party, and at the bottom "the proles". (Although somewhere in the novel it is said that one's place in the hierarchy is not inherited but determined by an exam one has to take at the age of (IIRC) sixteen).

*Somewhat to my surprise, I find it an extremely captivating read; I only bought it a few days ago, and already have read most of it (up to the part where Winston and Julia get arrested by the Thought Police). Usually a newly-bought book ends up at the bottom of the "to read" pile, and then (by the time it reaches the top of the pile) still takes me weeks -- if not months -- to finish.

Jeroen "Big Brother is watching you" van Baardwijk

DISCLAIMER:
In case the above doesn't make sense: I am not entirely sober right now, after three glasses of Grand Marnier. So, either this post is going to be one of the worst "not making any sense" posts I ever have ever written, or one of the most intellectual posts I have ever written... <GRIN>

LEGAL NOTICE:
By replying to this message, you understand and accept that your replies (both on-list and off-list) may be published on-line and in any other form, and that I cannot and shall not be held responsible for any negative consequences (monetary and otherwise) this may have for you.