At 11:07 AM 2/26/03 +0000, Jose J. Ortiz-Carlo wrote:
From: "Reggie Bautista" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I don't particularly have a problem with COBOL; in fact, I like it a good sight better than some *other* languages to which I've been exposed, like FORTRAN (I know, I know, they do completely different things). Reggie Bautista

PL/I was IBM's attempt to create a language which could do both business applications (like COBOL) and scientific/mathematical applications (like FORTRAN). Unfortunately, by the time it came out, no one wanted to re-write all the programs in COBOL and FORTRAN that they had already spent many years writing and maintaining.

If I have to choose between coding COBOL and coding RPG, I would much rather go for COBOL. I feel I can exercise a lot more control with a computer programming language that uses instructions that resemble natural language.

RPG is not really a programming language as such. As its name--Report Program Generator--says, it's designed to do one thing: create programs inside the computer to generate reports of the type businesses seem to live on. COBOL (COmmon Business Oriented Language) was designed to be a full programming language for business applications (though for non-business applications it may not be all that great).

-- Ronn! :)

Almighty Ruler of the all,
Whose Power extends to great and small,
Who guides the stars with steadfast law,
Whose least creation fills with awe,
O grant thy mercy and thy grace,
To those who venture into space.

(Robert A. Heinlein's added verse to the Navy Hymn)