"Miller, Jeffrey" wrote:

> :) I'm currently knee-deep in the Black Company series.. pulpy, gratuitous, but for
> some reason, I can't stop reading 'em..

I loved the first 5 or so books in Cook's Black Company Series.  I really loved how
many of the 'evil' characters were
actually portrayed in different shades of gray with their own motivations and
scheme-ings

After that, the series started to go downhill for me, and the last book especially
seemed quite rushed in certain ways I
won't go into because of spoilers.  Overall, though, quite fun to read.

But speaking of pulpy and gratuitous - Anyone here read the Honor Harrington series
books by David Weber?  I've
read about 6 so far (of 10) before I needed a hiatus.  The rest are part of my stack
of 20 waiting-to-be-read books
(along with Kiln People and The Transparent Society, to tie this back to the Brin
list).

-bryon