It is, to be sure, but *who* is it damning?  To me, it speaks to the
existence of a dangerous minority in that nation, because if they were the
majority, far more would have died, don't you think?  The overall record of
France in comparison to the rest of Europe speaks well of the nation as a
whole, especially considering that there were *local* authorities who
clearly were trying to remove as many Jews as possible.

It seems to me that you and I are finally converging on some facts that put
all this into perspective.  I have a greater appreciation (accompanied by
dismay and revulsion) of the crimes of the Vichys and their sympathizers.
And the statistics of the Holocaust have sunk in even deeper than ever
before.

As I've grown older, I am more and more astonished that the Holocaust
happened in my own father's lifetime.  I often find myself thinking that
humanity hasn't evolved much in the 50 years that have passed, at least in
the biological sense of evolution.  Perhaps our memes have made more
progress than our genes, though.  I am resigned to supporting the present
war partly because I can't set aside a war my father fought in as an event
in distant history that could not be repeated today.  I sure don't know if
this is the right time to attack Iraq or if some other approach would be
best, but it's not as though we ever will know those things.  This not being
heaven, we have to make rotten choices sometimes.

> The articles also seem to argue that aiding
> the escape of Jews wasn't pursured very harshly.
> Finally, they also mention the (considerable) freedom
> of action given the Vichy regime from 1940 to 1942.
> I'm not saying that France would have done the killing
> without the defeat - of course not.  Eliminationist
> anti-semitism is a fairly unique German creation that
> stretches back to Martin Luther.

Have Protestants redeemed themselves (oh, how theologically incorrect)
through their protection of Jews in WWII?  ;-)

I'm Lutheran, but I don't worship Luther... despite his picture on my wall.

Nick