----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 8:54 PM
Subject: Re: Pregnancy update ...um Dor-hinuf's

> In a message dated 5/27/2003 5:32:09 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> > <on-topic>
> >  I'm near the end of Greg Bear's _Darwin's Radio_, and without being too
> >  spoilerish, there's a character that swears her unborn child can hear
it's
> >  father singing it to sleep.
> >  </on-topic>
> >
> >  Reggie Bautista
> >  It's A Nice Thought Maru
>
> So said our good Dr. Brin.  I have not gottern to _Darwin's Radio_ yet. I
do
> remember the shortstory where the unborn baby has to go "mmmm."
>
> This idea all started with the conviction that Alvin had to publish before
> his daughter's birth. But not his journal. He wanted to give her the
stars, and
> had to publish a book of constellations.  Hurmuphta had nome.

The day my son was born, he reacted to my voice and my wife's voice, but not
to anyone else's. It was quite shocking when it happened, and that
"standard" look of shock and recognition on his face when he heard our
voices caught everyone by surprise.

Up to that point I had thought her insistence that I talk to her swollen
belly every night, beyond ridiculous. But I must admit that she might have
been correct all along.

xponent
His Fathers Voice Maru
rob