----- Original Message -----
From: "Julia Thompson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 10:26 AM
Subject: Re: Where are the European hypocrites?

> Dan Minette wrote:

Sharon
> > for the Hamas actions. ;-/
>
> Bush certainly wasn't happy with the Israelis taking the action they
> did.

That's fair enough.  Sharon's  immediate strong reaction played into
Hamas's hands...especially since it missed its target and killed civilians.
It made the US's job brokering peace a lot harder.

But, in principal, its hard for me to object to targeting the leaders of a
group that deliberately kills civilians as a means to stop any peace short
of the destruction of Israel.  It is easy for me to oppose, in principal,
the actions of those leaders.

So, I'll agree that Sharon's actions were not helpful.  It would be much
better for the US to insist that continued refusal to crack down on the
militants would stop the peace effort, and that is is meaningless for the
Palestinian leadership to say its bad without arresting the perps and
keeping them in jail for more than a token week.  Then, if the killings
don't stop, attacking Hamas in a slightly more targeted manner would be
acceptable.

> There is no easy solution.

No, but its easy to see what the solution must be.  It needs to be close to
the plan that was on the table in 2000.

Dan M.