Julia said:

> The thing is, Texas has more to lose by leaving the US than it has to
> gain, and most of us understand that. The parallel doesn't quite work.

Okay, choose some other state. I was just trying to make people imagine
how they might feel if a foreign Israel was set up in the Palestinian
US. I'd imagine quite a lot of Americans would be rather upset about
the whole thing, and try to expel it, and keep trying to do so for
decades using whatever methods are available. Furthermore, many would
continue trying to do so long after it became apparent that the
destruction of the new state wasn't possible.

(I'm not picking on America: the same thing would probably happen in
Britain and many other countries too.)

Rich