That's fairly typical across Christianity, I think.

> It's just a matter of semantics.  The way I see it, Catholics are
> a subset
> of Christians.  However, many fundamentalist Christians say that
> Catholics
> aren't really Christian at all.

Which really seems wrong to me.  I wonder how many have a clue about why
there is a distinction, or as somebody said earlier in this thread, how many
know the history of the church.

> To further muddy matters, some Catholics
> use the term "Christian" as short-hand for "Fundamentalist Christian."

Yeah, I almost thought this thread was going that way.

> The primary differences between Catholics and
> Fundamentalists,
> as I see it, are what one believes about whether the Bible is to be
> interpreted literally, and whether the Bible is the only viable
> source for
> spiritual info.

Well, "solo scriptorum" was certainly a theme of the early Protestants, but
I think you do today's fundamentalist Christians too much of a favor by
using their language about taking the Bible literally.  Saying that you're
taking it literally answers nothing; fundamentalism, in my view, is being in
denial about interpretation!  I have no doubt that fundamentalists are
interpreting; the difference is that they believe their interpretation is
the only correct one, now and forever (amen).

> >Apparently, there is less survival value to a population in sharing
> >positive
> >information...?
>
> Perhaps it's because often, positive info is nice to know but
> negative info
> is critical.  For example, I can think of a lot of plants that are
> absolutely deadly to humans, but I can't think of a single one that every
> human has to eat in order to live.  Maybe the positive
> information is more
> permissive (it's ok to eat this and this and this, but you don't
> necessarily
> have to eat all of those things) and therefore less critical than
> "don't eat
> that because it will kill you."  Just a thought.

Which means that we live in a world that is essentially dangerous.  If we
lived in an essentially safe environment, we'd probably do a lot more
positive communication.  I find myself thinking this is at the core of a
number of beliefs about living in a fallen world, original sin, etc.  This
universe doesn't seem to welcome us!

Nick