----- Original Message -----
From: "Jan Coffey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 1:45 AM
Subject: Re: Catholicism Re: james ossuary a fake - scientists

Let me get this straight.  Your suggestion is that the letters of Paul (the
actual letters of Paul, not duceo-Paul) were questioned by a number of
folks in the early church.  I'd very much appreciate references on this.

> 2) We know that King James added, removed, and edited sections as he
pleased.
> Becouse the can disagree with the greek and hebrue.

Yea, so?  I admit, since I do not read Greek and Hebrew, I'm at a bit of a
disadvantage..I have to ask my daughter or wife about the origional texts.
:-)  However, the translations that I read and use are based on the best
understanding of ancient texts.  A very good book on the process is "The
Text of the New Testiment" by Bruce Metzger.

> 3) And most importatntly, You can not deniy that their was a definate
schism
> between the apostles. It is apparent even within KJ. Looking at the
various
> letters etc. they do tend to agree that they disagree on the same things.

(As an aside, what in the world gave you the idea that I use the KJ
translation?)  There certainly are differences between the viewpoints of
numerous figures in the early church.  They are documented in scripture and
out of scripture. Some of the differences are clearly deliniated: faith vs.
works, the degree one needs to conform to Jewish law to be a Christian.
Others are hinted at: the differences between Paul and pseudo-gnostics of
the time (the consensus is that real gnosticism came into Christianity
during the 2nd century.)  But, I've seen no mention of getting high as the
origional goal of the Lord's Supper.

Indeed, the writings of all four cannonical gospel give the obvious
foundation of that goal: Jesus as the lamb.  It is most clear in John, but
the celebration of Passover on the night before the death of Jesus, and
"this is my body and this is my blood" while celebrating the feast is not
simply a coincidence.  The idea that it must really be getting stoned,
instead, is trying to cram ancient ideas into a modern pigeonhole.

> (BTW this can be used to suggest that the docs you speak of were in fact
> valid.) It is perfectly reasonable that ~some~ of the early christians
> definatly did believe that intocsication was at least part of the intent.

> Especialy when, as you say, groups of the early christians were in fact
doing
> this.

> 4) Perhaps Paul took issue with dedening the halucionogenic effect of the
> argot which was almost certainly there, all though it was probably in a
lot
> more than just the bread used for communion.

> My personal view is that it was intended as a celibration. The catholic
> version of communion (in fact most christian versions) are very
"Paulican",
> and anything but a celibration. And my personal opinion of Paul is that
he
> tried to take the place of Jesus and interjected many of his own silly
ideas.

I'd be interested to see the ancient writings you base this on. In
particular, it would be worthwhile to see Christian writings that predate
Paul.  The oldest Christian writing that I know of is a hymn that is quoted
by Paul.

As far as his silly ideas go, let us consider the main radical ideas he
had:

Christianity is as much for the Gentiles as the Jews, one does not need to
be a Jew to be a good Christian. One does not even have to adopt the law to
be a good Christian.

Salvation comes through the grace that is made available to us through our
faith in Christ.  It does not require perfect obedience to the law of
Moses.

Why do you think these ideas are so silly?

> While I may not believe in all the fantasticness and nonverifiability of
the
> religion. I certainly do think that Jesus existed, was a good man, and
was if
> nothing else briliant at social engenearing.

Huh?

Dan M.

Paul, on the other hand I am not
> so sure of.