----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Minette" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2003 6:48 PM
Subject: Re: Catholicism Re: james ossuary a fake - scientists

Rather,
> > it was the Catholic Church that codified the Bible to be a supplemental
> > resource of vast importance to our faith.
>
> John, that is really not an accurate statement.  With regard to scripture,
> at least part of scripture was codified when Jesus lived.  How this
differs
> from the bible is really not clear. Further, we have Christian cannon
> including the letters of Paul going back a very long ways.
>
>  Second, your statement about the existance of the Catholic church
assumes
> that Christianity before Constantine can be equated with the Catholic
> church.  I've seen very little in early church history that supports that.
> Indeed, there is significant evidence that the majority of Christians were
> gnostic during the first couple of centuries.
>
> Now, if you wished to argue that the covenent communities came before
> scripture, then you would have my...and most biblical scholars' support.
> But, that is a seperate question from which came first: the Catholic
church
> or the bible.

Not being argumentative, but making assumptions based on what I remember
being taught as a child, I have to ask if the authority of the Pope existed
pre-Constantine?
The assumption being that Peter was the first Pope and Popes led the Church
from day one.
My actual knowledge of the early church is nebulous at best.<G>

xponent
A Question Of Continuity Maru
rob