----- Original Message -----
From: "John D. Giorgis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2003 11:04 AM
Subject: RE: Catholicism Re: james ossuary a fake - scientists

> Given, however, that the Catholic Church predates the Bible by several
> hundred years, it is not a necessary condition of our religion.   Rather,
> it was the Catholic Church that codified the Bible to be a supplemental
> resource of vast importance to our faith.

John, that is really not an accurate statement.  With regard to scripture,
at least part of scripture was codified when Jesus lived.  How this differs
from the bible is really not clear. Further, we have Christian cannon
including the letters of Paul going back a very long ways.

 Second, your statement about the existance of the Catholic church  assumes
that Christianity before Constantine can be equated with the Catholic
church.  I've seen very little in early church history that supports that.
Indeed, there is significant evidence that the majority of Christians were
gnostic during the first couple of centuries.

Now, if you wished to argue that the covenent communities came before
scripture, then you would have my...and most biblical scholars' support.
But, that is a seperate question from which came first: the Catholic church
or the bible.

Dan M.