----- Original Message -----
From: "Ronn!Blankenship" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2003 8:03 PM
Subject: Re: Comparision of ecconomic growth

At 06:16 PM 6/26/03 -0500, Dan Minette wrote:

>>Right, but the median real wage started going down around 1980.  The
>>increase in income for all but the top 20% of households was due to the
>>additional hours work outstripping the drop in wagers.

>Wanna bet?

I did it off the top of my head, so I didn't get the years just right.  We
have from the Bureau of Labor Statistics the following table for the mean
wage:

1947   $4.88
1948    4.90
1949    5.14
1950    5.34
1951    5.39
1952    5.51
1953    5.79
1954    5.91
1955    6.15
1956    6.38
1957    6.47
1958    6.50
1959    6.69
1960    6.79
1961    6.88
1962    7.07
1963    7.17
1964    7.33
1965    7.52
1966    7.62
1967    7.72
1968    7.89
1969    7.98
1970    8.03
1971    8.21
1972    8.53
1973    8.55
1974    8.28
1975    8.12
1976    8.24
1977    8.36
1978    8.40
1979    8.17
1980    7.78
1981    7.69
1982    7.68
1983    7.79
1984    7.80
1985    7.77
1986    7.81
1987    7.73
1988    7.69
1989    7.64
1990    7.52
1991    7.45
1992    7.41
1993    7.39
1994    7.40
1995    7.40

It could very well be true that the numbers changed during the big boom
from 96-00.  But, the real mean wage is down from the '70s to the '90s.

Dan M.