----- Original Message -----
From: "William T Goodall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2003 6:32 PM
Subject: Re: Comparision of ecconomic growth

> On Thursday, June 26, 2003, at 11:57  pm, Dan Minette wrote:
> > Well, complacency is never good, but the challenge to the US will not
> > be
> > from Europe in 30 years.  How will an old society that is shrinking be
> > able
> > to challenge for supremacy?  Europe is in the process of fading away.
> > The
> > only way I can see this being stopped is:
> >
> > 1) Women start having kids out of as sense of loyalty to Europe.
> >
> > 2) Europe decides it wants to be multi-ethnic.
> >
> > I don't think either will happen.
> >

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1657826.stm
>
> "Britain's population is set to rise by more than 5 million over the
> next 25 years - boosted by a growing number of immigrants, according to
> the latest survey.

That's interesting.  At

http://www.library.uu.nl/wesp/populstat/populframe.html

they project a 1 million increase over that time.

> Figures produced by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) predict
> the net number of immigrants coming into the country by 2025 will be
> around 135,000 a year.

It would be interesting to see if that will actually be allowed.  I know in
the CIA factbook, that the ethnic makup of the UK is listed as

English 81.5%, Scottish 9.6%, Irish 2.4%, Welsh 1.9%, Ulster 1.8%, West
Indian, Indian, Pakistani, and other 2.8%

So, over 20 years, this immigration rate would more than double the
percentage of foreign born people.

> These numbers will provide a boost to the overall UK population - last
> year an estimated 59.8 million - which is expected to grow to nearly 65
> million by 2025."

Roughly an 8% increase.  The US increase from 2000 to 2025 is projected to
be about 36 million, or about a 14% increase.  And, one has to remember, GB
has a significantly  higher birth rate than Germany or Italy.

Indeed, Gautam's website's  numbers indicates that Britian is the shining
star of Europe in being able to handle an aging population.

> "Britain's population will continue to age over the next 25 years, with
> the average age expected to rise from last year's 38.8 up to 42.6.
>
> The workforce will be able to draw on more people of working age in the
> future, with numbers expected to rise by 6% to 39 million by 2011. "

Right, but that includes an increase in the pension age. They kinda cheated
to get the increase  :-)

Dan M.