----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2003 8:12 AM
Subject: Re: Comparision of ecconomic growth

> On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 03:30:33PM -0500, Dan Minette wrote:
>
> > http://econ161.berkeley.edu/movable_type/archives/000949.html
> >
> > we find recent quotes from the IMF showing that the US now leads
> > Europe in productivity per hour
>
> Huh? I read it that in 2001, Germany, France, and Italy all beat the
> US in productivity, as measured by GDP per worker-hour. The US was
> normalized to 100, and Germany, France, and Italy were 106, 115, and
> 117.

I was reading a different table and the text.  I think I misread the slope
as the total productivity.  Its interesting that Brad's paper has the US
staying in front of those countries in productivity. France is at 98% of
the US productivity in '98.  Since the trend since then has been superior
US productivity, we see the difference there.

Another, more important difference relating to per capita GDP  is the hours
worked by Americans. Here's the '98 data for that:

France 580
Germany  670
Italy  637
United Kingdom  682