On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 04:04:13PM -0700, Gautam Mukunda wrote:

> Yeah, but out real motto should be:  "We have healthy demographics,
> while Europe (with the exception of Britain) is about to go down the
> toilet because of the age of its population."

America's demographics aren't so hot either, just not as bad as
Europe's. But that isn't anything to be happy about. As William
Bernstein puts it, a lot of retired Americans may be eating Alpo in 20
years. Probably a lot of people won't be able to retire.

http://www.efficientfrontier.com/ef/103/hell4.htm

> Europe is, to put it mildly, catastrophic.

True, but most of the developed world has the same problem, albeit to
a lesser degree. I predict that unless we make some major advances in
robotics and artificial intelligence, the 20th century will be looked
upon as a singular golden age and the 21st century will be a lot slower
in economic growth, if not actually declines.

--
"Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       http://www.erikreuter.net/