On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 06:02:19PM -0700, Gautam Mukunda wrote:

> and they will keep buying stocks.  Take a look at the Goldman Sachs
> paper I posted a link to on capital market implications - I think the
> anlaytics there are pretty good, and it doesn't suggest that anything
> disastrous is going to happen to the American capital markets, at
> least.

I skimmed through it. They really gloss over the 2030 period, but they
do say several times that GDP growth will slow. If GDP growth slows, so
will equity returns (probably due to decreased earnings and declining
multiples from selling pressures). If that happens, do you think people
will be anxious to buy stocks as you suggest? And even if they do, they
won't buy enough to offset the baby boomers selling. That sounds a lot
like the beginnings of a 10+ year depression to me.

--
"Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       http://www.erikreuter.net/