--- Erik Reuter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Specifically what do you disagree with? The argument
> is fairly simple.
> Their IS an age wave nearing (traditional)
> retirement, surely you don't
> dispute that? What do YOU think will happen when
> they start selling all
> of their stocks and bonds to support their
> consumption in retirement?
> "Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Well, I think the empirical data that people do sell
that much is actually a little shaky, for one, so I
think that effect is overstated.  Look at Japan, for
example.  Despite their rapid aging, they haven't
actually seen a mass outflow of cash from their
retirement savings system (which is the Japanese
postal system, oddly enough, which pays absolutely
miniscule interest rates and has well over a trillion
dollars in assets, IIRC).  Money is going to keep
flowing into the market from other people as well.
People are going to keep investing in their 401(k)s,
and they will keep buying stocks.  Take a look at the
Goldman Sachs paper I posted a link to on capital
market implications - I think the anlaytics there are
pretty good, and it doesn't suggest that anything
disastrous is going to happen to the American capital
markets, at least.

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]