From: "iaamoac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], David Hobby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > If you want a serious discussion of religion, we should
> > probably all agree to adopt an agnostic viewpoint for the duration.
>
> But what kind of discussion is it where one adopts a viewpoint that
> one does not seriously believe?   Why should those who disagree with
> agnostics be forced to adopt their viewpoint?
>
> More imporantly, why is it so radical to simply insist upon a basic
> level of *civility* from all List-Members.   Sure, I have been known
> to engage what has previously been described here as "rough and
> tumble adult conversation", but when I apply "zingers" in my post, I
> at least accompany it with content.   In my mind, the posting of mere
> insults, without any accompanying substantive content is
> inappropriate - and hence I am objecting to it.
>
> John D.

Every time I bring up anything related to vegetarianism I get pounced on by
people acting less than civil.  I learned that I either have to accept that
behavior from others or simply not bring up the topic.  I don't whine and
complain that the brin-l isn't my version of utopia where everything I say
is accepted without any rude replies.  I simply post a reply to rude replies
saying that I will not discuss the topic with them if they are not willing
to discuss it maturely and rationally.  I see your current efforts only as
an effort to get people moderated or kicked off the list.  Something I will
not support.  Get over it.  You should welcome such behavior from your
opponents in a debate, no matter how rational the person arguing against you
claims his/her viewpoint is, it just proves how irrational the person is.

Michael Harney
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because
he had achieved so much... the wheel, New York, wars, and so on, whilst all
the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.
But conversely the dolphins believed themselves to be more intelligent than
man for precisely the same reasons." - Douglas Adams