On Sunday, July 27, 2003, at 09:07 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Erik wrote-
Really? I have heard many people claim that "everybody talks" when
tortured. In the movies, the tortures that are applied seem so tame
and unimaginative. Perhaps I have an unusually sadistic imagination,
but I can imagine tortures that I don't think anyone could possibly
endure without talking. (They could give false information, of course,
but the torturer would make it clear that their information would be
spot-checked and if it did not check out the torturer would be back)

Having met a few people that have been through SEER. (Search, Escape, Evasion and Resistance as best I can recall), torturers have imagination. Soldiers who go through training learn to plan to survive- what I recall participants saying is to try to survive 24-48 hours is the critical time. You learn a story close enough to your own that you won't get tripped up, and you give the info you have to protecting what you can. Dee _______________________________________________

The Navy called it SERE (Survival Evasion Resistance Escape) and back in the 70's the instructors always said that you will talk eventually (or die), but that you should hold out as long as you can. SERE training is mainly provided to Special Ops and Aircrew (maybe the troopers of the 507th Maintenance Co. now wish they had had this training) and was developed in response to POW experiences in Korea and Vietnam. Not for the faint of heart.

john