Tom wrote:

>Why does Snape, who clearly abhors Voldemort and all the Death
>Eaters, still show any favor at all to Slytherin just because it's
>his own house, when it is full of people who at the very least
>sympathize with Voldemort?

Jim replied:
Keeping up appearances, I imagine. He uses Occlumency to hide his true feelings from Voldermort, and favors Slytherin to demonstrate his continuing loyalty. Or at least that is my theory.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer? I hadn't thought about that. And it may be that he really doesn't see the problems with the students in Slytherin (or with most of them, anyway); teachers can be notoriously blind to what's going on right beneath their noses. He obviously has problems with Harry because of Harry's father, despite what Harry himself has done and been through. Also, maybe Snape feels that Slytherin is a valid choice of house (as Dumbledore must also feel, since he hasn't gotten rid of Slytherin house), and why not have some loyalty to your own house? Maybe he thinks some of the students from that house are salvageable, and he wants to be an example of how one can be dark and moody and... well, Goth, for lack of a better term, and still not be a Voldemort sympathizer or follower.

Reggie Bautista