Tom Beck wrote:

In general, I think, Rowling does much better with her good guys than with her villains.

A lot of this is simply the context the books are written in - it is entirely from Harry's perspective. I can't think of any narration that occurs outside Harry's observation, and Harry only associates himself with the good guys. Draco, Dolores, Lucius et al probably have quite interesting multi-dimensional lives, but Harry never sees any of that because of his limited contact with them, whereas he has deep and meaningful discussions with the good guys on a regular basis.

Cheers
Russell C.