At 09:41 PM 7/30/2003 -0400, you wrote:
Considering the level of interest shown in the Tour de France when it
started, I'm surprised to see little or no mention of the fact, now that it's over,
that Lance Armstrong won his fifth in a row. This one was more stirring than
the previous 4, as his triumph was in doubt until the next-to-last day. He was
used to blowing his competition away, and he just could not do so this year. I
wouldn't be surprised if he savors this one the most, as it was his
hardest-earned (except, perhaps, for his first, considering he was just coming off his
miraculous recovery from cancer back then).

Tom Beck

There didn't seem to be much interest here, I thought. I watched the penultimate stage live, postponing a bike ride of my own until I saw the result. Then I recorded the same stage while I was work, just to see if I missed anything. I treid to record the final day, but messed something up.

I did breathe relief when the outcome was known, and breathlessly watched stage 13, pumping my own fist when Armstrong came around the corner so quickly after Ullrich got second on the final climb, Lance keeping the yellow jersey.

But I'm not one of 'those' fans. The only time I'll flip out is watching the Yanks, or PSU. So Lance won. Yahoo. I went for a bike ride and drank beer that night, but I would have done that if he came in second.

I am glad he won the way he did. He said the same thing, but five straight of anything is great. So many bad things happened, the wrecks, his cold. But he survived.

Can anyone believe the sportsmanship shown when he wrecked the second time? I have not heard anyone say that Lance didn't show the same sportsmanship when Beloki crashed, but it was near the end going downhill. If Beloki was okay, he'd have only lost a minute at the most, if that. But I'm sure Lance knew, from his team radio, the he was seriously hurt.

Kevin T. - VRWC
On Monday Letterman had a guy ride from backstage, down the stairs, up the isle and out the back door. He was wearing sunglasses, a helmet, postal shorts and the postal yellow jersey. While the guy had biker legs, he was also fatter then me. It was pretty funny. Dave kept saying, "Yes, that was Lance. He couldn't stop."