On
> Behalf Of Julia Thompson
> Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 10:02 PM
> To: Killer Bs Discussion
> Subject: Re: Lance!
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > Considering the level of interest shown in the Tour de France when
it
> > started, I'm surprised to see little or no mention of the fact, now
that
> it's over,
> > that Lance Armstrong won his fifth in a row. This one was more
stirring
> than
> > the previous 4, as his triumph was in doubt until the next-to-last
day.
> He was
> > used to blowing his competition away, and he just could not do so
this
> year. I
> > wouldn't be surprised if he savors this one the most, as it was his
> > hardest-earned (except, perhaps, for his first, considering he was
just
> coming off his
> > miraculous recovery from cancer back then).
>
> I was busy e-mailing back and forth with Kevin about it all, and one
of
> my friends was calling me every day about that day's stage, except on
> the rest days.  (Then she'd call me about baseball games.)  Kinda
weird
> now, she hasn't called me in a few days.  :)
>
> I've also been soaking up everything the Austin paper has published on
> it.  He went to a conference on cancer after he won the Tour, did
anyone
> else know that?  He made some kind of crack about how he wouldn't be
> talking much, due to the hard time his 200 friends had given him in
the
> last 3 weeks.  :)

Almost every radio show, tv show and article I've read has included his
accomplishment (5 straight wins) as something of a footnote.  They
didn't forget to mention it but didn't make a big deal out of it either.

> Anyone besides me read _It's Not About the Bike_?

It's sitting on my 'to read shelf', which means I'll probably get to it
around 2006. ;)

Did anyone else catch his Nike ad?  It only ran every 5 minutes during
the coverage. ;)  Awesome!

Jon