In a message dated 10/11/2003 1:21:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> Indeed.   In fact, if ESPN had fired Limbaugh because his comments showed
> an utter lack of knowledge about football and the media hyping of all
> mobile QB's, be they Doug Flutie or Donovan McNabb, I probably wouldn't
> have cared.    To fire him, however, because the Democratic Political
> Establishment in this country engaged in a coordinated assault designed to
> categorize all criticisms of "reverse racism" as "racism"
> really sits badly
> with me.

It is good to see you back John. With all the bad news for the GOP I was wondering
when you would weigh in. The thing about Rush is that he was hired to be provocotive
and he was. But based on his history it cannot be argued that his anti-media attack
came out with regard to a black quaterback. As you have documented, McNabb is very
good and as your ranking shows many black quaterbacks are in the upper teir. Any fan
with unbiased knowledge of the game would have to acknowledge this so it seems that
there must be bias in Rush to come up with this analysis. I have seen others suggest a
double standard because Howard Cossel did not get fired for his "monkey" remark. But I
think it is personnel history rather than politics. Both men were egoists with a
desire to create controversy. The difference is that Cossell was a legitimate champion
of black athletes while Rush (or at least a large part of his audience) are, to be
kind, not overly sympathetic to the plight of blacks. So when Cossel says he did not
mean the statement as a racial slur he is believed while when Rush says it is not a
slur it is not because it falls into his general pattern of demogogery.