On 3 Nov 2003, at 7:59 pm, Gautam Mukunda wrote:

--- Jan Coffey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
As Spock would say when confronted in such a way,
...Indeed.

He did, however, sound to me like one of many
"Everyone who isn't a staunch
conservative is out to get the Jews" kind of
thinker. If he can come off that
way to someone such as myself then he definitely
needs to back up his claims
that Marx was an anti-Semite.

Have you _read_ "On the Jewish Question?" William and I have discussed it briefly, and I've talked about it considerably more with someone else on the list.

Marx was the atheist son of Jews who converted to Christianity to get ahead in society. He was anti-Judaism and anti-Christianity. The most intelligible reading of "On the Jewish Question" is that by Jew he means someone following the Jewish religion rather than someone of Jewish descent. Anti-Semitism normally means both. Unless you think his tirade was directed against himself.

William described it as a defense against Bruno Bauer.
 As Prof. Mansfield pointed out when lecturing on the
book, Marx's problem with Bauer was that Bauer _did
not go far enough_.

Not far enough in the sense that Marx thought that rather than Jews adopting Christianity, both Jews and Christians should give up religion...

--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,
lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of
their C programs.  -- Robert Firth