--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Charlie Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > There's no question that we are walking
> > right up to the line, and a decently strong case that we are
crossing
> > that line, but I'm not sure that any previous generation has
> > hestitated
> > to walk right up to the line and occasionally cross it in times of
> > threat either.
>
> So people were wrong before, and that justifies being wrong now? And
> you wonder why we're looking on in horror from elsewhere in the world.

You are jumping into the middle of the conversation and drawing
completely the wrong conclusions.

At no point have I argued that torture was justified, nor have I even so
much as argued that the Bush Administration's policies in regards to
treatment of prisoners was justified.

The subject of conversation was someone making the case that Americans
were reacting to the current threat in a way that was more panicked,
more fear-stricken, and less noble than the way Americans had reacted to
threats in the past.   I'm simply pointing out that that is a very tough
case to make given some of America's reactions to past threats.

JDG - Who has never imagined that he could take  so much grief for
criticizing the United States on this List....