On Dec 5, 2007 4:00 PM, Charlie Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Except insofar as Christianity makes claims about how the world is.
> IIRC, you're a Lutheran, and the American Lutheran church is fairly
> progressive. But saying there's *nothing* incompatible about the two
> would seem to be a stretch - even if you subscribe to the viewpoint of
> "non-overlapping magisteria" there are bound to be cases where you
> simply have to make a value judgement between what your religion tells
> you and how the world appears to actually be, no?

Not that I can recall.  Certainly not on a regular basis.

There has been at least one time when I made a commitment to a
church-related activity and our CEO called and wanted to talk business,
urgently, and I told him that on that particular day -- a Saturday -- my
priority was the church.  Ironically, what I was supposed to be doing was
practicing a talk on priorities -- how we balance faith, family, work, etc.
One reason I'm very happy to work where I am is that this was okay, even
encouraged by our CEO.  Others might be less supportive and I'd have to
decide whether or not to keep working there... but I don't see that as an
incompatibility.

What I find far more incompatible, or at least challenging, is to hang on to
faith while witnessing the worst things life has to offer -- war, suicides,
trauma of all sorts.  It often seems like it would be much easier to yield
to fear and distraction (which are related) than to continue to believe.

> >  My church and lots of others around here are full of scientists and
> > engineers -- this is Silicon Valley, after all. Some may find that
> > their
> > beliefs and their science collide, but I assure you that most don't.
>
> Because they genuinely don't collide at all, or because of
> compartmentalisation?

Depends on the church, I'm sure.

Nick

--