In my faith, being lukewarm is cause for criticism... ;-)
Nick

  what is your faith, nick, if you don't mind my asking?  i get that you are a
christian, but what version?  were you raised in the church, or did you have
some kind of epiphany?

  i personally don't believe one's political bias is determined by whether
their personal obligations are forced or chosen. perhaps influenced?   i have
been in both situations and also had a very stern father model. some people
react against their upbringing and others embrace it, but imho, it is an
individual choice.  i have two sisters who are republicans, one brother who is
apolitical and another who is as radically militant as myself.  i hate the
government in any case, even though i believe government should regulate
industry and provide social services.

  i encountered pournelle for the first time during the reagan years when he
was involved with sdi.  he would talk about his politics in the mc carthy era
and was very visible at conventions and the lasfs.  i haven't seen him in years
but hear that he has mellowed and no longer drinks excessively.
  jon