On Dec 5, 2007 11:45 AM, jon louis mann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   jerry pournelle, is also catholic, and used to be a much more
> progressive, but now is way over to the opposite end of the political
> spectrum.

I haven't seen Jerry in a long time, but I never would have guessed that he
was ever progressive.  The more times I ran into him, the less I could stand
reading anything he wrote... Aside from his grandiosity and misbehavior
(don't ask, I won't gossip) I'd hear it all in his voice, which could ruin
anything.

>  i can understand why many wealthy individuals are drawn to the religious
> right, but i can not understand why so many lower class christians support
> bush when they are victims of his economic policies...

George Lakoff has an explanation and although I'm not sure it is politically
useful, it makes a lot of sense to me.  "Moral Politics" is his book that
explains it in depth.  The short version is that the right, especially the
fundamentalist right-wingers, appeal to a "stern father" concept that all of
us have and use to one extent or another.  The alternative is to invoke our
concept of nurturing parents, Lakoff argues.  But it's sort of like Freud;
the model works but doesn't seem to be practical.

>  i have a friend who is a cal tech graduate and is still orthodox.  that i
> don't understand, but we are still friends.  if you are raised in a faith,
> you either reject it completely, as i did, or find some way to rationalize
> your faith...  perhaps there is a middle ground?

In my faith, being lukewarm is cause for criticism... ;-)

Nick

--
Nick Arnett
[EMAIL PROTECTED]