On 27 Jan 2008, at 01:43, Dave Land wrote:

>>> And only those over twenty-one should be allowed access to churches/
>>> temples/ashrams/mosques/synagogues and other places where the evil
>>> nonsense of religion is purveyed or to the vile corrupting texts of
>>> religion.
>>
>> Now there's a great idea! And, how about displaying a health warning
>> outside churches/temples/etc., like the warnings on cigarette
>> packets?
>
> Unfortunately for this plan, as I seem to recall having seen discussed
> here recently, presence of religious faith has been shown to have
> beneficial health effects. I am far too lazy to look it up for you.

http://www.tjols.com/article-450.html

"Proponents of bringing religion into medicine cite research showing
that religious devotion is associated with better health outcomes. But
overwhelmingly, the evidence is weak and inconclusive, marred by
serious flaws in research methods. Even the best review article in the
field, published by Lynda Powell in the American Psychologist in 2003,
found that in all but 43 of the hundreds of studies examined, the
research methods were so flawed that they couldn’t definitively
determine that religion and not other factors, including chance, was
responsible for the outcomes.

Of all the studies that attempt to establish a connection between
religion and health, those finding an association between attendance
at religious services and life expectancy are, without question, the
strongest. In one of the best studies, a survey of more than 21,000
subjects, R. A. Hummer and colleagues found that frequency of
religious attendance was inversely associated with mortality. However,
the protective effect was entirely absent for patients with cancer,
and only marginally significant for patients with heart disease, the
two leading causes of death in the United States.

A report published in the American Journal of Public Health in 1998
showed that, in a community sample of 2,023 affluent, largely white
adults over age 55 in Marin County, California, religious attendance
was associated with reduced mortality. However, the magnitude and
significance of the effect varied depending upon the definition of
attendance, and whether the model included other indices of social
engagement. So while the data suggest some health benefits from social
engagement, they are anything but a ringing endorsement of the health
benefits of religion or religious faith, per se.
  "
--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit
atrocities." ~Voltaire.