> I had run just cmake .. (which was described as the default). After
> re-making, I can run mged and produce the .pix files on the command line. I
> then used the pix-png tool to view the shapes and they are accurate. The GUI
> still doesn't open up.

Note you can render directly to png from most of our tools (e.g., rt -o
file.png).  If mged won’t run in GUI mode, then the summary provided at the end
of cmake probably says why.  Most common, compiling against X11 may be disabled
because you do not have requisite developer headers installed.  See README (and
by extension doc/README.Linux) for details.

> Also, I can't get a GUI to work. 'mged' starts and offers to attach either a
> text file or a null. But that's not an issue as I'm fine working with the
> command line. Just want to know how I can view the trace.

Everyone should really be able to get graphical MGED working, even unassisted.
That doesn’t mean avoid asking for help if people are stuck and you’ve
genuinely been trying for an hour.  It just means everyone should try.  You're
may be overlooking informative messages from either make or (more likely) cmake
in this particular instance.

Cheers!
Sean