On 4/13/20 7:54 PM, Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
> busybox - and thus the git repo - is small.
> What - apart from trolling - motivates "--depth=1"?
> To word it another way: What is a somewhat sane use-case
> for "--depth=1"?

It clones 3 MB instead of 28 MB, which is useful if you don't expect to
need history but would still like to submit patches or even directly git
push if you have commit access. It's a fairly large difference. It saves
bandwidth and decreases the time it takes in order to start working
rather than staring at a blinking cursor waiting to complete.

It's also able to dynamically grow by using `git fetch --unshallow` to
retrieve the rest of the history, so there are no actual downsides to
using it when you don't need it.

But never mind --depth=1, the original post also pointed out that modern
revisions of the git-over-http protocol support status messages such as:

remote: Enumerating objects: 110424, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (110424/110424), done.
remote: Total 110424 (delta 88325), reused 102158 (delta 81649)
Receiving objects: 100% (110424/110424), 27.51 MiB | 4.49 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (88325/88325), done.

It is also faster even without the depth setting (or rather, old-style
git-over-http is just really slow):

$ time git clone git://git.busybox.net/busybox/ # no TLS validation
[...]
real    0m15.574s
user    0m10.526s
sys     0m0.606s
$ time git clone https://git.busybox.net/busybox/ # with TLS validation
[...]
real    2m12.699s
user    0m17.903s
sys     0m4.561s

There are many good reasons to use modern versions of the wire transport
protocol instead of old versions, I'm actually extremely bewildered that
this is such a controversial topic.

It really should not be controversial. It's a very simple, pure-benefit
request that simply depends on whether the person in charge of the
server infrastructure has a bit of time to switch it on and considers
such to be a useful way to spend that time.

--
Eli Schwartz
Arch Linux Bug Wrangler and Trusted User