On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 9:29 AM, Richard Hart <r...@harts.mv.com> wrote:
> Chasing the "L" is not a double progression dance. Also, the original Becket
> Reel is not double progression. Each time through the figures each couple
> moves just one place to the left (clockwise). There may be some confusion on
> this because the posting of the Becket Reel choreography at
>
> http://www.cambridgefolk.org.uk/contra/dances/herbie_gaudreau/becket_reel.html
> states, incorrectly, that Becket Reel is a double progression dance.
>
> There may exist some double progression Becket dances, but most that I know
> and use are single progression.

I'm afraid Becket Reel is most definitely double progression -- though
the first time I was told so I had to watch it multiple times to
believe it.

The quick way to check is to see if there's a couple out at the top
every other time through the dance. If there's never a couple out at
the top, the dance has an even number of progressions. If there is a
couple out at the top every other time through, the dance has an odd
number of progressions.

The double progression happens during the diagonal right and left through.

Across from you are the old neighbors N1.

You face neighbors N2 on the left diagonal, pulling by them, and leaving them.

You then face across with new neighbors N3 straight across from you,
and dance with them.

-Chris Page
San Diego