On 5/8/2012 6:35 PM, Mark Hillegonds wrote:

> It's been my experience that unless one is a well-known choreographer (Ravitz, >Hume, Ormand, Sanella, Olsen, and any number of others) it can be difficult get >new dances into the light of day and, in the theme of mentorship, get feedback on >them. There are certainly a number of dances posted to this list and feedback is >readily and warmly given. I have gleaned a number of dances from this list and am >glad to see them, both as a caller and choreographer.

>Three of questions for you:

>1. Do you see this [Caller] list an appropriate place to publish new dances? Too >many postings of new dances could dilute the [Caller] aspect of the list.

I do see it as an appropriate place. It seems mutually beneficial to me for choreographers to put new dances under caller's noses, and the volume of new dances posted so far isn't very high.

There are three types of postings that, for me as a caller (acting like a filter feeder who snags things as they come by) have almost the same effect:

 - I wrote down this dance - anybody know what it is?

 - I think I made up this dance - does it exist already?

- Here's my cool new dance - I hope you'll like it.

I don't see much point in segregating the third type of post to another list.

> 2. Do you feel there would be interest in a separate [Choreographer] list? I can >see this list really focusing on creating new dances, getting feedback, and >getting the word out about new dances. It could be a nice venue for >choreographic student/mentorship stuff to happen.

If there were one, I would probably sign up so that I didn't miss anything. That's different from thinking there's actual demand for it.

>3. What would you think about a monthly dances-of-the-month email to >consolidate new dances into a single or some moderated number of emails

The devil is in the details there. From what pool are the new dances drawn? Who's doing the moderating? What makes the cut?

-- Alan