Sounds like a great project.  I'm currently working to encourage local callers,
suppose you could call it mentoring.  A couple of them quite actively.  Also
have mentored to some degree long-distance.  The long distance bit mainly is
providing resources and being available to discuss upcoming gigs and what they
might expect.  I also help them to get gigs through my contacts.  I think a
long distance mentor should be willing to make themselves available for
confidential discussions.  Another aspect would be to travel to do a workshop,
then remotely advise and mentor the attendees.

Rich