Martha wrote about calling parties.

Partly inspired by the Webster Grove calling parties, by the "house dances" and "Potter's Porch" tradition, and partly by the availability of a dance space for $25/night, I've been organizing "Woodshed dances" for the last year and a half. Callers split the rent, everybody else gets in free, and we get to sort out new choreography, puzzle out other people's dances, etc. BACDS adopted the series (which means extending insurance cover and putting the info on the website) this year.

http://www.bacds.org/series/woodshed/atherton/

It's very helpful, and trying stuff out there definitely reduces the instance of crashing and burning in front of paying customers. (Challenges sometimes include trying to make a worthwhile evening for the three dancers who happened to show up.)

-- Alan