I believe that elbow turns were the original version for that particular dance -- at least they were in the version I collected something like 10 years ago. The last time I called it I suggested forearm to forearm turns, which keep things a bit tighter, make for a somewhat more solid "frame" for the star promenade and still allow the push off (that's also what I generally offer to the next gent when I'm dancing it. Much more satisfying connection for me and it seems to do a better job of keeping the whole thing turning as a unit.