John Sweeny below hoped we callers would teach more about hand turns and the
like.

I've been thinking on this for quite a while. Years ago I had a discussion with
Brad Foster. We both lamented the loss of the allemande with mildly
interlocking thumbs to the modern overprotective thumb against the side of the
palm allemande. At that time I think I was still in Santa Barbara, thus it must
have been pre 1994. I wrote an article for our dance rag called, "If Allemande
Left, Where'd Allemande Go?"

I talked about what I do when someone grips my hand-and I think all of us
should remove that word, "grip" from our caller's vocabulary...

But the most important thing I discussed is:

  *   Our Wrist is Strongest When It's Straight
  *   Our Fingers are Strongest When Curved
  *   Thus, however one does an allemande, it should be a hook, with curved
fingers and a straight wrist.

Lately I've seen teachers promote the straight fingers, bent wrist, and flat
palm method. The almost always makes one person's wrist uncomfortable. Not as
bad as when someone draws the others hand into that
almost-Aikido-put-them-on-the-ground position, but usually quite uncomfortable.

Thus I hope most of us learn the curved fingers, straight wrist, no grip, and,
no thumb clamping allemande, ECD hand turn, two hand turn type hand connections.

~Erik Hoffman,
   Oakland, CA