> Anyone help?
>
> I'm working in academia and need to build a 300-receiver channel
> single-bit digitiser / cross-correlator with a single frequency channel
> having a bandwidth of 300 MHz, centre frequency ~3 GHz. The single bit
> digitisers sample I&Q giving a total data rate of 180 Gbps and using XOR
> gates to do the cross-correlations, the total computation rate is 54 T XOR
> operations per second. I need to accumulate cross-correlations typically
> for times ranging from 10 ms to a few seconds. The system would comprise
> an array of single bit digitisers linked via a high speed data bus to FPGA
> boards for the cross-correlation/accumulation. I've no skills in board
> design but could probably learn VHDL. I don't have funding to commission a
> design and build but wondered if anyone in this community could advise how
> I should go about building this system at our university.

Hi Neal.  I think the main problem you face is the I/O.  I'm assuming your
sample rate is 300 ms/s?  Clocking the FPGA at 300 MHz is pushing it, but
not completely insane.  The 180 Gbps is above the capacity of the Roach-2,
but maybe R-3 can do it.  There are other off the shelf hardware platforms
you could look at, like pico computing that might have enough I/O.

Dumping the output at 10 ms shouldn't be a problem, as that's only 3.6
Mbps at a 4 bit width, or ~29 Mbps at 32 bits wide.

Do you already have the digitizers?  That's probably a nice bit of
engineering in itself.  There has been some work on using the Xilinx I/O
block bits as single-bit ADCs.  I don't remember the details.

John