From: John Ford [mailto:jf...@nrao.edu]
Sent: 18 December 2015 15:06
To: Neil Salmon
Cc: casper@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [casper] building 300-receiver channel cross-correlator

> Anyone help?
>
> I'm working in academia and need to build a 300-receiver channel
> single-bit digitiser / cross-correlator with a single frequency
> channel having a bandwidth of 300 MHz, centre frequency ~3 GHz. The
> single bit digitisers sample I&Q giving a total data rate of 180 Gbps
> and using XOR gates to do the cross-correlations, the total
> computation rate is 54 T XOR operations per second. I need to
> accumulate cross-correlations typically for times ranging from 10 ms
> to a few seconds. The system would comprise an array of single bit
> digitisers linked via a high speed data bus to FPGA boards for the
> cross-correlation/accumulation. I've no skills in board design but
> could probably learn VHDL. I don't have funding to commission a design
> and build but wondered if anyone in this community could advise how I should
> go about building this system at our university.

Hi Neal.  I think the main problem you face is the I/O.  I'm assuming your
sample rate is 300 ms/s?  Clocking the FPGA at 300 MHz is pushing it, but not
completely insane.  The 180 Gbps is above the capacity of the Roach-2, but
maybe R-3 can do it.  There are other off the shelf hardware platforms you
could look at, like pico computing that might have enough I/O.

Dumping the output at 10 ms shouldn't be a problem, as that's only 3.6 Mbps at
a 4 bit width, or ~29 Mbps at 32 bits wide.

Do you already have the digitizers?  That's probably a nice bit of engineering
in itself.  There has been some work on using the Xilinx I/O block bits as
single-bit ADCs.  I don't remember the details.

John