On 05/25/2018 12:04 PM, Michael Inggs wrote:
Hi Dan

One of the tradeoff studies the guys are doing is the cost of a 48 channel analogue downconverter and low sample rate ADC. At present, direct demod with a SNAP looks simpler in terms of hardware complexity, but has not been costed.

One of the team has actually implemented all the digital backend (including RFI excision) on a GPU, so in principle, all we need are time stamped packets of samples, and nothing on the FPGA, except demod, decimation.

Thanks for the ideas coming in to the team.

Regards

So, here's a wee "out there" suggestion.

The RTLSDR can be used in a direct-sample mode, bypassing the hideous phase offset problems with the R820T2 tuner chip.

Build up a converter array that has a single LO that can down-convert all antenna inputs to 10.7MHz, which can be direct-sampled by the RTLSDR, which you can common-clock with a low-phase-noise master clock at 28.8MHz.

There are a plethora of IF filters available, very, very cheaply at 10.7Mhz, and because they're designed largely for the FM radio band, have
  bandwidths that closely match your requirements.  In terms of RF filters:

http://www.microsaw.fi/pdf/saw-filter/327-mhz/M075-327_8M2.pdf

Your residual problems would be:

 o algorithms to time-synchronize the inputs from all the RTLSDRs
    Injecting a coded test-tone has been used by me for doing this

o figuring out if you can have so many USB devices on a single computer system

The problem with finding a low-speed ADC that *also* has wide analog bandwidth is that they largely don't exist as far as I can tell, so you end up going for a *much* faster ADC, and under-clocking it, and this is expensive.

I can't remember whether Haystack used a down-conversion approach or not.