Hi Dan,

The downconversion was the first idea that we had before Prof Inggs steered
us towards the SNAPs. I made a quick costs overview:

If each channel cost $100. Total cost for 48 is $4800. PCIe ADC with
16channels at 1MSPs will come at $500 each. Three of these will be $1500.
Add to that the cost of three mainframes which would be around $1500 as
well plus the need of a switch(1GbE 24 channels is atleast $2000). This
should bring the total cost to $9800.

Four SNAPs will come around $14000 at $3500 with much less complexity.
There is a $4000 difference and this is one of the reasons I am seeking out
the CASPER group in case someone can get us the SNAPs at a reduced price. I
may have forgotten to mention that while we are only building a one station
pathfinder, the plan is for 20 or so stations which will give us over a
1000 channels. The added advantage of using something like the SNAP is that
I get to expose the radio astronomy community to SDR and FPGA development
and once the experiment is over the SNAP can be reused for any other
experiment.  Prof Inngs and I agreed that to build expertise for hosting
SKA type telescopes it is essential we get started with what the astronomy
community is using.

Cheers,

Vinand