Hi Kevin and all,

Great thoughts Kevin! I am with you on these points!

Also I would like enjoy other creatures too, it is a wildlife refuge not just
for birds. I would like to see a dragonfly  or a flower or a digger wasp making
it home for its progeny. You can't see a digger wasp from your car!  So the
refuges are not meant for specifically birds or birders.

Unless people enjoy the nature they will not support nature conservation. Most
of the people who come there want to enjoy nature not just birders.

Basic thing needed is educating the public about their behavior. If a person
stands at one location for long time enough without harassing a bird  then they
are as effective as cars. Also everybody  is not interested in photographing a
bird. If they see some actions by birds they are happy about it!

Having said that, I would also suggest that there could be comprises. At
strategic locations there could be blinds or shelters. Also walks could be open
for certain time of the day, so as to get birds a chance to do what they are
supposed to do. For example the dykes on the Knox Marsellus could be open to
public to walk for certain hours of the day. As it is birds are miles away.

If we all together put in our efforts we can make solid recommendations to the
refuge or if the refuge managers are reading e-mails they themselves can think
of some of the alternatives.

If we want people to enjoy nature they should see them up close, a shorebird
three miles away has not effect on a general public than a bird close at hand
and watching its behaviors. Then only they will support conservation!

We need people to enjoy the nature and love it!

Hope we will make some changes!

Cheers
Meena