I am filling out the Cayuga Lake Basin 2020 First Records table. Its
availability for your perusal on the Cayuga Bird Club website Resources page
should be ... imminent. As I said, I’m working on it. Meanwhile here’s a
preview.

I think I have sorted out almost all the information I sought regarding the
Ithaca Count on New Year’s Day (aka Christmas Bird Count). In addition to those
89 species (appended below this message), there were an additional 9 species
reported elsewhere in the Basin on 1 January:

90) Snow Goose by Amelia Otis at Rafferty Rd in Genoa

91) Mute Swan by Kevin McGowan from Portland Pt Rd in Lansing and by Dave
Kennedy at Cayuga Lake SP on Lower Lake Rd in Seneca Falls

92) Trumpeter Swan by Dave Kennedy in Montezuma NWR from NYS-89 in Tyre and on
the north side of Armitage Rd in Galen or Savannah, and by Wade & Melissa
Rowley on Carncross Rd in Savannah

93) Tundra Swan by Dave Kennedy in Montezuma NWR at Tschache Pool and at from
East Rd in Tyre, and by Wade & Melissa Rowley on Carncross Rd in Savannah

94) American Wigeon by Dave Kennedy in Montezuma NWR from East Rd in Tyre

95) Northern Pintail by Dave Kennedy in Montezuma NWR from East Rd in Tyre

96) Ring-necked Duck by Sarah Hansen at Sheldrake along CR-153 in Ovid, by Dave
Kennedy at Cayuga Lake SP on Lower Lake Rd in Seneca Falls, and by Wade &
Melissa Rowley on Carncross Rd in Savannah

97) Snowy Owl by Janet & James Sandefur at the Finger Lakes Regional Airport in
Seneca Falls

98) Northern Shrike by Janet Akin on Farron Rd in Seneca Falls

On 2 January these species were added:

99) Green-winged Teal by Dave Kennedy in Montezuma NWR from East Rd in Tyre,
and by Jane Graves and Barbara Clise on the Factory St Pond in Union Springs,
Springport

100) Gyrfalcon by Reuben Stoltzfus, Joe Brin, and Renee Kittleman in Seneca
County. I’ve heard rumors the bird was seen in the basin on 1 January (if so,
please let me know by whom), but that’s been hard to confirm because eBird
censors the data to protect the species, and for similar reasons this location
is vague.

On 4 January...

101) Horned Lark by Chris Wood at Finger Lakes Regional Airport in Seneca Falls

On 7 January...

102) Iceland Gull by Reuben Stoltzfus along Lower Lake Rd in Seneca Falls

103) Northern Saw-whet Owl heard by Chris Wood on Etna Rd between Mohawk and
Hanshaw Rds in Dryden

On 8 January...

104) Peregrine Falcon by Dave Kennedy at Van Cleef Lake in Seneca Falls

105) Hermit Thrush by Shawn Billerman around the Lab of O, which could be in
Ithaca, Lansing, or Dryden

On 11 January...

106) Tufted Duck by Jay McGowan in the SW part of Cayuga Lake in Ithaca

107) Black Vulture by Kevin McGowan on Stevenson Rd in Dryden

That’s all the species reported in the Cayuga Lake Basin this year that I’m
aware of so far. If you think I may have screwed up, please let me know.

Also, for Count Week, I’m aware of 3 additions: a distant female Red-breasted
Merganser I saw on Cayuga Lake from the SW corner on 31 December;  a Snow Goose
found by Meena Haribal and Amelia Otis on Beebe Lake on 2 January; and a
Ring-necked Duck found on Beebe Lake by Amelia Otis, Daniel Toronto, and Leah &
Ruth Dodd on 2 January.

And regarding small falcons on the Ithaca Count, it was definitely 2 different
American Kestrels, one sighted a couple times (sorry, I did not find out by
whom) around Boiceville Rd in Caroline, and one along Stevenson Rd in Dryden
reported by Anne Clark. As for the 5 Merlins reported on the Count, I have not
tried to track down where and when they were seen, nor what direction and how
fast they were going, but of my three sightings of Merlin within the Count
Circle so far this January, two of them were flying very fast and probably were
crossing a boundary between Count Areas.

- - Dave Nutter

Begin forwarded message: