From: CCP4 bulletin board on behalf of Peter Adrian Meyer
Sent: Thu 5/10/2007 5:37 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] CCP4 GUI

Hopefully my offhand remark wasn't taken as a criticism of ccp4i (it
wasn't meant as such); but seeing as I don't use it, it's not a place
where I could tell someone how to find an option.

> As developers, we also have to think about long-term maintainability.
> Options, in particular little-used options, can soon become out-of-date.

This is might be a bad idea*, but I'll throw it out there anyhow:  What
about the storing program keywords in a grammer file (something along the
lines of yacc/lex), reading gui options from the grammer, and generating a
parser subroutine from the grammer for the data-processing programs?
This would mean changes to the parser library (and to a large number of
existing programs which already work), but would eliminate the issue of
keeping the gui options in sync with the program options.

Pete

*specifically, bad idea type #2 - probably more trouble than it's worth

Pete Meyer
Fu Lab
BMCB grad student
Cornell University