Many interfaces already have an other parameters folder, see e.g. the
folder "Infrequently Used Parameters" in the Molrep GUI. The request
seems to be to:

a) complete this with more parameters for more programs (taking due note
of Kevin's comment)

b) have a Preferences switch that globally hides these folders (i.e. not
just close them) for the basic GUI

Provided you're happy for the advanced options to be segregated into
their own folders, then we already have the means (I think) to do this.
Actually going through all interfaces will take time though.

Maintainability means options disappearing from programs, new options
appearing, keyword arguments changing and defaults changing. For one
person looking after one program with one interface, its not a problem.
For 15 developers looking after 200 programs, it becomes a problem. It
is "only" a management problem, but nevertheless a real issue (some
people make a living out of telling you how to deal with such issues).

Cheers
Martyn